Welcome to the Home Page of WHDLoad, the AmigaOS
Harddisk-Install package. WHDLoad makes it possible to install quite a lot
demos and games, which were originally designed to run only from floppy
disks, to your harddisk.
There are different versions of the WHDLoad package. The USR package
contains the documentation and all programs which are required to use
WHDLoad installs. The DEV package contains all files from the
USR package plus addtional programs, sources and support files.
The DEV package is the right choice if you want to create
installs for yourself. The USR small package contains a reduced
set of documentation languages (only DE, EN, ES, FR, IT and PL). Besides
that it is identical to the USR package.
The packages are provided in LhA and LZX (requires
this Y2K fix!)
- 2023-09-24 improved: Bismarck (PSS) german version supported (Info)
- 2023-09-22 new: Tolteka (Ariolasoft) done by Psygore (Info)
- 2023-09-03 new: Music Disk 3 (Vega) done by StingRay (Info,Image)
- 2023-09-01 updated: Crayon Shinchan (Melon Dezign) patch rewritten, interrupt problems fixed, out of bounds blit fixed, Bplcon0 color bit fixes, 68000 quitkey support, patch works with 0.5 MB chip memory now (Info,Image)
- 2023-08-31 updated: The Sword and the Rose (Code Masters) original game version is now supported, 68000 quitkey support, source code included (Info)
- 2023-08-31 fixed: Kingdoms of England (Incognito Software) protection track removal code fixed, game works without disk in drive now (Info)
- 2023-08-31 improved: Astro Marine Corps (Dinamic) new install script, all known versions should be supported now (Info)
- 2023-08-30 improved: Kingdoms of England (Incognito Software) slave assembled in release mode (no functional changes) (Info)
- 2023-08-30 new: Kingdoms of England (Incognito Software) done by StingRay (Info)
- 2023-08-29 fixed: Twintris (Digital Marketing) a blitwait added in game to avoid gfx bug on very fast amiga (Info)
- 2023-08-29 improved: Hole In One (Digitek) supports another version (Info)
- 2023-08-24 improved: Pacman 87 (Steve Jacobs & Jim Boyd) fixed install script, adapted to WHDLoad version 17 (Info)
- 2023-08-24 new: Shake Yourself (Starline) done by StingRay (Info,Image)
- 2023-08-22 improved: Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter (Sierra) graphics problems on very fast machines (emulators only probably) fixed (Info)
- 2023-08-17 improved: 3D-Net Analyzer (aka D.O.C. Demo 2) (Doctor Mabuse Orgasm Crackings) interrupt problems on slow machines fixed (Info,Image)
- 2023-08-16 improved: Animotion (Phenomena) interrupt problems on slow machines fixed (Info,Image)
Currently in work
the following demos and games are currently in work and may be
finished/released in some time
- Alfabet Smierci ECS (Arte), start 2020-11-09 Asman
- Armalyte (Thalamus), 99% Complete 2021-04-24 Abaddon
- Bermuda Project (Mirrorsoft), 95% complete (testing game - lots of faults!) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Bubble Ghost (Accolade), 99% complete (install script to finish) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Centerbase: Science-Fiction Simulation (reLINE), 50% complete, removing OS stuff 2021-03-23 Psygore
- Chambers Of Shaolin CDTV (Thalion), 80% complete (halted) 2021-01-01 JOTD
- Champion of the Raj (P.S.S.), 80% complete, protection needs to be disabled 2023-04-07 StingRay
- Chuck Yeager AFT 2.0 (Eldrich the Cat), Investigating hanging/crash bugs 2023-03-11 DJ Mike
- Das Stundenglas (Software 2000), 90% finished, playtesting to do (protection needs to appear) and install package to do 2023-04-07 StingRay
- Delirium (Complex), 50% complete, Zoomlens and Endpart left to fix 2023-04-07 StingRay
- Demolition (Anco/Kingsoft), 90% Complete 2021-04-24 Galahad
- Dragon Lord (Palace Software), 80% Complete 2021-04-24 Galahad
- Drip (Art Skiles), Looking into speed issue 2023-03-11 DJ Mike
- Footman (Topdown Development), 85% complete 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Fort Apache (Impressions), 85% complete 2021-01-01 JOTD
- Fred (UbiSoft), 100 % to release/KickEmu used instead of OSEMU/TRainer added 2023-04-09 CFou!
- Gazza's Super Soccer (Empire), 70% complete 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Hammerfist (Vivid), CD32 pad controls, minor clean-up, v17 custom controls 50% 2013-07-05 Hungry Horace
- Hardwired (TSL/Crionics), 40% complete, complete rework, problem with black screen in glenz vector part finally fixed! 2023-04-07 StingRay
- Hoi (Hollyware), 50% complete 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Joan of Arc (Chip), 95% finished, bitplane wipe effect doesn't appear and needs to be fixed other than that the patch is finished 2023-04-07 StingRay
- Legend (Mindscape), Massive clean-up, fixes, CD32 controls etc 10% 2013-07-05 Hungry Horace
- MegArts Hockey (MegArts), 70% complete (translations need adjusting compared to Cross Check) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Micro League Wrestling (Microleague), 5 % complete, just started 2021-01-03 Puppe
- Moebius Goatlizard (Black Jet), 70% complete (programmer is releasing a new version shortly based on bugs found while writing the install) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Newtek Demoreel 1-3 (Newtek), started 2023-01-14 Wepl
- Passagers On The Wind 1 (1987 Infogrames), solution & saves file to add 2023-04-09 CFou!
- Passagers On The Wind 2 (1988 Infogrames), solution & saves file to add 2023-04-09 CFou!
- Phalanx II: The Return (Kingsoft), 100% to release 2023-04-09 CFou!
- Phalanx (Kingsoft), 100% to release / speed regulation + enhanced trainer 2023-04-09 CFou!
- Pink Panther (reLINE), 100% to release (buttonwait/disk image legnth optimized/Quitkey for 68000) 2023-04-09 CFou!
- Quadralien (Logotron), Supporting 2nd version, other fixes 2023-03-11 DJ Mike
- Reach for the Skies (Rowan/Virgin), 90% complete 2021-04-24 Galahad
- Regent (MES), started with it, ugly AMOS code 2023-01-14 Wepl
- S.D.I. (Activision), 95% complete (packaging and icons to do) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Screaming Wings (Red Rat), 90% complete (speed-up/slow down problems) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Snakes (Victrix), 95 % complete, need beta tester 2021-01-03 Puppe
- Space Ranger, 90% complete 2021-01-01 JOTD
- Speed (Sim Prod.), 95% finished, timing problems to fix (needs to be slowed down to disk speed) 2023-04-07 StingRay
- Stadt der L÷wen (Software 2000), 90% complete, CDTV version to support, gfx bug in title screen to fix 2023-04-07 StingRay
- Starflight 2 (Electronic Arts), 80% complete, testing and install package to do 2023-04-07 StingRay
- Steve Davis World Snooker (Artworx), 90% complete, needs 1MB at the moment due to memory allocation bugs 2023-04-07 StingRay
- SWOS (Sensible Software), 99% Complete - Enhancements and updates 2021-04-24 Galahad
- T-Zer0 (clickBOOM), 80% complete, supports game version and another demo version, patching all OS access 2021-03-23 Psygore
- TFX (DID), 95% complete FPU version to adapt to 040/060 if doable 2021-01-01 JOTD
- The Scene 2 (Abel), 60% complete (fixing keyboard handler) 2021-04-24 Dr Cinicus
- Turbo Trax (Microdeal), 95% complete (seems to play by itself!) 2021-04-24 Codetapper
- Vision (Oxygene), 80% finished, now fixing the "french way of demo coding" (TM), i.e. fixing lots and lots of annoying SMC 2023-04-07 StingRay
- Whale's Voyage (Neo), 50% (CD32 version working) 2021-01-01 JOTD
- Willow (Mindscape), 20% complete, unplayable without Preload, too many OS swaps 2023-04-07 StingRay
- Wiz N Liz (Psygnosis), Adding trainers, 2nd button support, more blitwaits 2023-03-11 DJ Mike
- Wizard Warz (GO! (U.S. Gold)), 20% Complete - Lots of access faults 2021-04-24 Abaddon
- Z-Out (Rainbow Arts), 95% complete (support for MFM) 2021-01-01 JOTD
- Zarathrusta (Hewson), 45% Complete (CD32 pad support) 2021-04-24 Abaddon
WHDLoad install authors are looking for the following ORIGINALS to
create or improve an install for it. If you own one of these games,
please contact the person given by the underlying link or
Please note that it is usually not required that you ship your
disks or cd's, because nearly all can be done via email.
Check here for more infos concerning creating and
sending images to install authors (thanks to
Codetapper for writing this text).
If the install does not work?
First, don't panic, don't swear at the install, don't swear at WHDLoad
and don't flame at forums or comp.sys.*.*. It's usually the fault of
the games or demos if they do not work and the install tries their best
to make them working on all hardware setups.
In fact all installs are written to work with an ORIGINAL,
that means that the install will usually not work with versions which has been
altered in any way.
Before sending a bug report, try yourself to solve the
problem. There are various things you can do:
Although all installs are tested before public release, a bug might have
escaped unnoticed. If you think you discovered a bug, write a detailed
report of your problem to the author of the install. For this use the
bug report form which can be accessed if you click on the author on the
download pages. Or submit a report in the
Mantis Bugtracker. Try to report your problem accurate. If you get an error
requester by WHDLoad please also make a CoreDump (just press the CoreDump
button on the requester WHDLoad shows) and attach the .whdl_register
file to the issue made in the Mantis Bugtracker.
Problems reported via the form on the download pages will be imported some days
later to the Mantis Bugtracker.
During that process an user account for the reporter will be created (if
not already present). All further communication regarding the report
should then happen via the bug tracker so that the relevant informations
can be preserved.
- check the version of the install and WHDLoad, make sure that you are
using the latest versions of both, many installs require the latest
WHDLoad version, also installs will be updated from time to time - so
check if there is an new one available
- check the Tooltypes (or the options if started from the CLI/Shell), many
things can be adjusted setting Tooltypes, there is hardware which requires that
you set the correct Tooltypes, maybe your system is to fast - so set NoCache, some games
are working only under PAL or NTSC - so try the Tooltypes PAL and NTSC, some extra
hardware creates at random interrupts which confuses the installed games/demo -
so try Tooltype NoAutoVec,
sometimes also the Tooltypes NoResInt and NoMMU may help
- read the readme or other documentation supplied with the
install, it often contains important information concerning the install,
its using and its limitations
Please note: if the authors aren't informed about bugs they can't correct them.
Note also, that the reasons for problems are often an different
version of the game/demo. Many commercial games have been sold in more
than one version (full-price-release, budget-re-release,
coverdisk-release, PAL/NTSC version, ...). Of course a install can only
work if it has been written for the version you have. If you have a
different version of the same game, it won't work. In that case, you
have to contact the author of the install and ask him to support your
If you have a general problem with WHDLoad or in the case that a lot
of installs are not working correctly, please submit a report for WHDLoad in the
Choose WHDLoad as the project and include you system environment specification
as best as possible.
Best viewed with any Browser. If you have problems, suggestions, new slaves
please contact me.
last change : 2023-09-24
© 1996-2023 Bert Jahn, All Rights Reserved